Survival (with solo) Practice Weekend
May 15-17, 2020 - COVID-19 CANCELLED
minimum/maximum = 4/8
to confirm minimum course offering, registration closes April 24
Practice Weekend Description: For a lot of years we have been sharing with outdoor enthusiasts the skills and practices to keep themselves safe in the backcountry. We all know, and should understand, that you can do everything right and something can still go wrong.
This is a co-ed weekend designed to learn and practice skills. Beginning midday on Saturday, participants will embark on an overnight solo that requires not only finding their campsite with a map and compass, but setting up their site with items they are carrying, finding food and water through map and compass and building fire to cook food and stay warm.
This weekend is created to give you genuine insight into how you can react – with success. Be prepared, you will need all your stamina to enjoy the weekend.
When: Friday, May 15th to Sunday, May 17th. Weekend begins at noon on Friday and concludes at 10a on Sunday.
Cost: $475 per person.
Includes: Price includes all weekend instruction, non-solo meals (although food for the solo will be cached for you to find), snacks and a small handful of survival supplies.
Basecamp Offering: This workshop will be a basecamp offering. Which means, we will be outside for the entire training weekend – dress for the weather conditions. You will have access to the bunkhouse (sleeps four) for Friday night as well as to any of the outdoor space for tenting.
Weekend Participation: Participants will be provided with a list of items to bring for the overnight solo (think 10 Essentials) and items you might need on Friday at the group camp. This workshop is a rain or shine weekend offering.
Sample Itinerary (subject to change):
* Friday classes – Plan Ahead and Prepare, Edible Plants, Campfire Building and Small Game Trap Construction.
* Friday night – buffet dinner of vegetarian and meat chili, green salad, cornbread. Dinner includes a tasting of local brews.
* Saturday classes – Land Navigation 101, Shelter Construction and Water Collection.
* Saturday solo – pack for your solo and then head into the wild yonder for a night alone. Safety boundaries will be discussed prior to departure.
* Sunday morning – return from solo, debrief and evaluations.